[Edu-sig] What about CP4E in the inner city?

Dennis E. Hamilton infonuovo@email.com
Sun, 14 May 2000 21:42:34 -0700

When I return on June 1 from traveling in Italy, I am arranging to
provide some algebra tutoring over the summer at the high school I
attended over 40 years ago in Tacoma, Washington.  I hadn't lived in the
Northwest from shortly after high school until last September, and now I
want to do something with and for the kids in my old school.

I am not a teacher, but a contact of mine in the school is very anxious
to have successful alumni be available as tutors and mentors at a school
in what has essentially become the inner-city high school.  I am looking
forward to tutoring some kids in algebra.  I want to see what they are
up against and also what would have them be interested in having some
mastery in this area.  Presently, the only exposure I have to that is my
10-year-old grand nephew, who I see, already ending the 5th grade,
becoming so poorly practiced at early arithmetic skills that new topics
(e.g., ratios) are becoming increasingly inaccessible to him.

I have mentioned CP4E to my contact, but we haven't discussed it much.
There are others in the school to talk to about computers, math
education, and so on.  I would like to do that, and if I could support a
CP4E project in the school, I want to do that.  It will take a lot for
me to give up what I already know about computing to be able to relate
to what these kids may require to get over any obstacles they have.

I don't have any ideas about this beyond what I have just said.  I will
learn more when I meet people at the school.  I also wanted to consult
with this newsgroup and see what thoughts there already are about using
CP4E approaches in schools where mathematics may be more something to
survive than to master and exploit.  I am sure I will find some kids who
are keen on computers.  I am just thinking out loud and also looking for
your thinking.

Regards,

-- Dennis

AIIM DMware Technical Coordinator
I am traveling until June 1, 2000, and am best reached via E-mail.

Dennis E. Hamilton
InfoNuovo
mailto:infonuovo@email.com
http://www.infonuovo.com