[Edu-sig] ports

A[r]TA arta@x-stream.nl
Sun, 14 May 2000 18:03:18 +0200

> You have to be more clear. Explain in more detail. I am a networking
> developer and can't tell which of many networking functionality you
> are talking about. Regardless I suggest you take this off of edu-sig
> since it is way off topic. At best it is a python developer question
> which is not a topic for the list. At worst it is not a python
> question at all.

Sorry, I will.

> Sockets do indeed check to see if someone attempts to open a
> port. Sockets are client/server. A server socket waits for a client to
> connect.

Yeah, I know.

> Almost everything the user sees on the net goes through sockets.  FTP
> and HTTP are socket level protocols.
>
> Firewalls do indeed have an IP address. Firewall functionality is
> usually filtering. They act as routers/gateways and refuse to route
> packets depending on various packet characteristics. You are not
> realistically going to do anything like this in python mostly for
> speed reasons.

Speed isn't that important. But I assume Python has the abbilities??

>It is also very platform specific where as sockets are
> portable.

I just want to write a simple firewall. Just to learn from it and how they
work. It could be quite handy if you can block all ports except the
usual ones. Like 21 en 80 for FTP and HTTP. The other ports aren't
server-sockets
but they can "connect" to them with a TELNET-client or with portscanners and
stuff like that. How do you block that? Or how do you can read the ports and
print
a message so you know someone is scanning your ports or is trying to connect
with
a lame trojan.

Again, sorry, for my stupid short mails.
I hope someone can help me a bit...

A[r]TA

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will
be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
- T. S. Eliot