[Edu-sig] How best to publish?...

Jeffrey Elkner jelkner@umd5.umd.edu
Sat, 13 May 2000 15:50:04 -0400

I have a question that I think is of importance to our efforts.

What format is best suited to creating content that can be both web ready and
generate good looking printed copy from the same source?  At this point I have
settled on learning DocBook, but the big problem with DocBook is that the tools
needed to use it affectively are propriatary and expensive.

Looking into my crystal ball (or is it mearly wishful thinking ;-)  I see a not
too distant day when DocBook XML is completed and I wealth of really cool tools
(written in Python, of course!) are available for it.

Any comments?  It is really important for me that I figure out the right way to
do this.  I don't have the time I need to do what I'm trying to do already, so
I can't afford to just look around and check things out.  I am willing to learn
and use any format, but I want to learn and use only one, and I want it to be
the one that the Python community is most likely to rally around and support.
Am I dreaming, or is there such a format?

jeff elkner