[Edu-sig] Things to come

Dinu C. Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Tue, 09 May 2000 18:04:03 +0200

Arthur Siegel wrote:

> "Disney Learning" is the voice over. Not much else said.
> I am not dogmatically anti-corporate.
> Then why do I consider that a very scary 15 seconds?

Maybe because you already heard about "Disney Living" before?
Here in Europe I've once seen a TV report about a supposedly
"ideal" village called "Celebration" in Florida, U.S. (see e.g.
http://celebration.nm1.net) where people move in voluntarily
to let a cartoon corporation decide how they should spend
their daily lives. Now, how scary is that?!

Although I do think that common sense is more common in some
places than in others, I also believe that all this is more of
a logical consequence of corporations using their wealth for
missions they don't have a mandate for.

Regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"The only possible values [for quality] are 'excellent' and 'in-