[Edu-sig] testing colorized code sharing

Dinu C. Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Tue, 09 May 2000 17:00:55 +0200

Kirby Urner wrote:

> I'm testing the ability of edu-sig list server to handle
> colorized Python code (on my screen, code fragments below
> are in color):
>
> [...]
>
> This'd be great for cutting and pasting to web pages or
> even email clients (especially if this text works --
> wonder how it'll show up in the archives). Adds to
> readability and would probably spur more folks to
> quote Python directly on their web pages (keeping the
> untagged source in a separate download file, for those
> wanting to actually execute the stuff).

Sorry for joining a little late, but I had first to finish
a release of a little module that will do what you descri-
be, but create PDF files instead of HTML ones!

I wrote this mostly for providing embellished and (inden-
tation-)fool-proof versions of Python source code for ma-
gazine publishers, but quickly found out it would be use-
ful for teaching/presenting/reviewing/printing Python code,
too.

A nice new feature in 0.5 is the ability of browsing more
intelligently through the code using PDF bookmarks that
will point you directly to all class/method/function defi-
nitions, at least in Acrobat Reader.

You'll find py2pdf 0.5 (with lots of examples) either in
the eGroups.com vault of the ReportLab users group in the
same place (you'll need to become a group member first) or
in my temporary home for stuff that has been lost after the
Starship disaster:

  http://www.egroups.com/files/reportlab-users/dinu
  http://me.in-berlin.de:8080/members/DinuGherman

Needless to say, I appreciate all feedback, especially from
this SIG as I hope py2pdf will be of some particular value
to people lurking around here...

Regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"The only possible values [for quality] are 'excellent' and 'in-