[Edu-sig] Being relentless

Arthur Siegel siegel@eico.com
Tue, 9 May 2000 10:57:10 -0400

I had written -

> The duality of points and planes in three-space spun
> me about when I was getting at it. Can't try to explain
> the excitement I got from getting some grasp of that concept.

A private response -

I fully agree with your feelings. If there is something
such as the Mytery of God (tm), then duality in projective
geometry is one of its best portraits.

One might also say that duality is math's perspective
on the war of the big-endians and little-endians in
Gulliver's Travels.

The relevenace to EDU-SIG:

Mathias writes -

>The EdScheme (www.scheme.com) project has had a huge success with 3D and
>projective geometry.

But EdScheme is Scheme, not Python.  With full apologies to the the Scheme
folks,
who not only are doing great things in their own right, but contributing
here as well -
I still believe that Python represents a major step forward for this kind of
effort.

And we see that math, but as synthetic geometry,  is very much a liberal
art, easy to make non-geekish -
and relevant to art, history , literature, philosophy, science, etc.

So I've learned a lot by participating here. And have done some listening as
well as a lot of talking.

And yet am more convinced than ever that PyGeo, or a variant, or a
successor - in all immodesty -
should have tremendous significance here.

And I again express some disappointment that in all the discussion here,
there is not one
indication that anyone participating has actually opened it up and looked at
it.

Maybe they have, and are being kind by refraining from comment.

So I'll phrase it as a question.

Short of quitting my day job and devoting myself full-time to something that
I have no interest in
benefitting from financially - how might I proceed to get PyGeo some
attention, attract some collaboration,
get it out there, explored, improved and used?