[Edu-sig] Re: projective geometry through programming

Arthur Siegel ajs@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 7 May 2000 16:00:44 -0400

> > The EdScheme (www.scheme.com) project
>
>> I think you mean www.schemers.com

Thanks much for the cite. It is of course of great interest to
me.

Checked it out and have downloaded some of what they have developed to teach
programming/math using Scheme and 3D.

The folks behind Schemers have I see set up there own institute for
supplementary K-12 education, with four locations in Florida - IMACS
(Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science).

It is also interesting to see how plugged in they seem to be
to a general community using Scheme in education - which is
more extensive and long-standing than I had heretofar understood.

The Schemers themselves are clearly targeting gifted children, rather than
'everyone'.

Which is another contoversary maybe EDU-SIG needs to
face.

We've addressed the CP4M issue, at least by discussion.

We've discussed the issue of unequal access to the tools.
No solutions, but we know the issue exists.

Has there been any discussion of another 'everyone' issue - I guess what
might be referred to as the tracking issue.  Can one programming curricula
fit all?