[Edu-sig] My Opinion

Arthur Siegel siegel@eico.com
Wed, 3 May 2000 19:13:42 -0400

>I hope there is some way for CP4E to help.  Unfortunately, improving
>computer science classes isn't likely to help much, because there aren't
>many women IN the classes.

True.

Which in my mind supports an argument that an introduction to programming
should
not be considered a stand-alone subject, but integrated into other
curriculum.

Integration with math and science curricula seems extremely natural - but
there is
no good reason why it would need to end there. One needs to be able write in
science class -
why would doing text-processing, for example, in English class be so stange.
Was it here the point was made about an analysis of a poet's work based on
a search of his work for the re-use of certain words or phrases?

In my mind, the importance of Python is exactly because it is a tool that
can
realisticly be creatively introduced into integrated curricula.

Kirby's approach, for example, is a curricula with no clear dividing line
between
math and programming.  Seems quite natural to me.

To me, it almost takes effort to keep programming out of a math curricula at
this
stage. So I would expect that curriculas like Kirby's will find acceptance.

And we go from there.