[Edu-sig] Re: "Killer Apps" vs. CP4E

Steve Morris smorris@nexen.com
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 10:57:54 -0500 (EST)

I wish there was less taking of offense on this list. Different people
want to get different things. Kirby in particular is an "on the
ground" type of contributor adding what he things is important. (I
love his numericy pages, check them out.) This means he has well
focused ideas he would like to see come out of this list and CP4E. He
is apparently afraid that the grandious ideas will dilute the effort
resulting in little accomplishment.  On the other hand he is just one
of many. For example I think he sets the goals too low and we have
room to explore many approaches.

However I fail to see why he shouldn't be allowed to present his
opinion and try to convince the rest of us without everyone taking
offense apparently merely because he disagrees with them. He and I
have had occasion to disagree on several things so far. I don't have
less respect for him because of it and I don't believe he has less
respect for me or anyone else that disagrees with him. So what's the
problem?

This is a subject that is bound to have plenty of disagreement among
intelligent people of good will. Lets please assume that each of us is
one of these intelligent people of good will having these inevitable
disagreements and chill out a little.

Just a suggestion ;-)