[Edu-sig] PyGeo

Arthur Siegel siegel@eico.com
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 11:25:39 -0500

Kirby -

As I mentioned to you at one point, it was POV-RAY that initially generated
my interest in 3D graphics directly, which indirectly led to a path that has
turned me into a (mostly)gray-haired guy who can code Python and OpenGL.

So as a cross-section of one, I am a good argument to support your position
that POV-RAY can be an inspiration in generating the kind of interest and
enthusiasm that is fundamental to the goals of EDU-SIG.

And it remains true that the quality of graphical output provided by POV-RAY
is beyond anything that OpenGL can do, at least anything I am capable of
making OpenGL do.

I have a graphic I did in POV-RAY a few years ago hanging proudly in my
study.

And with the advent of decent $150 color printers, the opportunity for
students to see their work in hard copy is there, I think extremely
important, and better handled through POV-RAY than PyGeo - though you can
output .ppm
images from PyGeo.

So that I certainly do not want support a Python to POV-RAY, versus PyGeo
argument.

BUT - (you knew one was coming)

What hasn't been emphasized in the discussion so far is the PyGeo is fully
interactive. The top-level script just defines a starting position of
objects in 3D space.
You go from there. I think the interactivity has a high fun quotient, which
will generate a "help me
understand how that happens" factor and  a good "you got my attention now"
factor.  And, yes, it can work wonderfully I believe to build an intuitive
understanding of geometric concepts, which to me is not as off topic as may
appear.

Based on the approach you have achieved with Python and POV-RAY, there is of
course the potential of building a write-to-POV function into PyGeo. Many
modellers
much more sophisticated than PyGeo have it.  Manipulate the construction
interactively until
you are happy with what you see. Write to POV-RAY and get a new level of
graphic resolution.
Write to a targ or a jpg. Print it out. Hang it up

Killer app, in my opinion.

Any interest in pursuing???