[Edu-sig] Python for non-programmers

Dennis E. Hamilton infonuovo@email.com
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 20:29:21 -0800

I found this interesting in terms of what might be possible for a graphic
manipulation system.

It is a big reach from what I meant by toy applications, because of the need
to understand a lot of analytical geometry to express things.  Also, I
wouldn't want to modify the IDE.  I'm concerned that could get in the way.

Learning how pyGeo works and is built by taking it apart seems like a big
thing too.

I downloaded the thin distribution to see if I could get a better sense of
it from your code.  I haven't looked at it yet.

I think geometry work might be very interesting at some point.  Have you
considered introducing it along with objects for geometric representation,
sort of how it showed up in the early Smalltalk work?  Something like

	p1 = mkPoint(0.0, 7.3)
	p2 = mkPoint(-3.7, 1.5)
	p3 = mkPoint(2.4, -12.7)
	s1 = mkPlain(p1, p2, p3)
	s2 = ...
	linex = mkIntersection(s1, s2)
	linex.draw(parameters)

like that?  Or little turtle stuff?

Thanks for showing me this.  It is something to think about.

-- Dennis