[Edu-sig] Future of CP4E after CNRI?

Dinu C. Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:40:24 +0200

Kirby Urner wrote:

> All the necessary tools have been provided; we're surrounded
> by an embarassment of riches (free resources, easy access to
> a global readership).  Those who choose to whine about Guido
> "not doing enough" get my vote for "least likely to succeed
> at making a difference re CP4E".

Kirby,

before you go voting you might want to hear what my moti-
vation for asking questions about the future of CP4E (what
you seem to be equalling with whining) actually was.

It was at IPC8 this January that I got the strong impression
that Guido was putting an *increasing* amount of effort into
CP4E. This impression came from facts like his keynote be-
ing mostly entirely devoted to this topic, the obvious gut-
level support almost everybody seemed to have for this, say,
movement, the rather heated discussion in the CP4E BOF meet-
ing there, the affactionate presentation of Randy Pausch
during the meeting, pushing for an even easier to use ver-
sion of the language (supposed to be one without case-sen-
sitivity -- another topic that could have changed now with
BeOpen). If you add to this the apparently *increasing*,
not decreasing efforts behind IDLE during the last months
it won't take much of a great analysis genius to conclude
that CP4E was *gaining* importance, despite the fact that
it was financially rather unsecured.

With the (ongoing) shift to BeOpen and in the absence of
an implied or expressed commitment of BeOpen in favour or
against CP4E and much more with Guido's (previous) CP4E
commitement as least as I perceived it on IPC8, I consid-
ered it a legitimate question to ask about the future
support for this movement. I can't remember saying some-
body was "not doing enough".

> PS:  I likewise appreciate the more forthcoming and open
> discussion of these matters by principals at BeOpen vs.
> the more closed-mouth chapter at CNRI.

Obviously, you also appreciate some more details where they
are available and would also be happy if such nasty little
questions as mine would help people to stand firmly behind
their announced openness. Glad to hear that! ;-)

Regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"The only possible values [for quality] are 'excellent' and 'in-