[Edu-sig] Future of CP4E after CNRI?

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 22:37:10 -0700

Hmmmmmm, perhaps The Conspiracy has decided to put all its
eggs in the Squeak basket.[1]  Wasn't Disney dumping money into
that edu-sig?  Even hired Marvin Minsky and Seymour Papert as
consultants.  Or was that just a dream?

My "math through programming" approach isn't hardwired to
Python.  I'm for keeping diversity alive and the gene pool
ever remixing.  Maybe it's time to get back to DrScheme --
or move into Squeak's arena (sounds like Quake III).
Certainly Python is a useful springboard to Java, another
route for those wishing save C/C++ for later (if ever).

But I really do think Python is a fun, interesting and well-
designed language, and think lotsa kids will groove on it
-- no matter what The Conspiracy's plans.  Very gratifying
to see my simple L-System turtle is working so well behind-
the-scenes, after just a couple hours of coding (between
a camping trip to the beach and organizing a conference
for 400 people).  Here's a graphic:

http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/graphics/fractaltree.gif

Basically a cut 'n paste from C.J.van der Mark's nifty little
"turtorial" page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~cvdmark/tutor.html

In the meantime, I'm an Xbase/Dbase/FoxPro programmer for a
living.  Doing my part to educate future generations via the
Oregon Curriculum Network is just what my "inner teacher"
needs to do for kicks (plus I found a utility in the Vault
that lets me suck Fox memo fields though a module, which
makes them amenable to regular expression analysis --
something my native Xbase never offered, fun fun!).

Kirby

[1] http://www.create.ucsb.edu/squeak/