[Edu-sig] Future of CP4E after CNRI?

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:44:22 -0500

> Although tempting, it's wrong to assume that any person or entity which
> makes money is against everything good and wholesome in the world.  In
> fact, it behooves every technology company with plans to be doing business
> 20 years from now to maximize the computers skills of today's school-aged
> children.

Well said.

> Further, Be has shown itself to be fairly progressive in its approaches to
> software, suggesting that they will not try to close-source Python.
>
> Let's not jump to any conclusions.

...For example, the conclusion that BeOpen is related to BeOS. :-)

BeOpen is connected to BeOS at all!  We're completely different.
Check out www.beopen.com to see what we are -- an open source portal
site.  PythonLabs is a separate division -- we'll make money for our
core Python development work by selling support and consulting.

You're right however that BeOpen will keep Python completely Open
Source.  In fact, you may want to view
http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-July/012789.html
to find out to what lengths we're going to keep Python Open Source!

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)