[Edu-sig] Playing with Python

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 00:32:27 -0700

When kids have no fear, are in a spirit of play, they
tend to 'go wild' trying things for which we see no
'practical applications'.

This tendency will be expressed in Python, probably
already has been, in a number of your classrooms (or
you may recognize yourself here).

Example:  we introduce the basic collection types:
tuple, list, dictionary.  Some kid is going to try
doing a dictionary of lists containing tuples of
dictionaries.

I'm sure edu-sig folks can think of other examples
-- weird and bizarre forays which take us to the
limits of what Python concepts implement.

Effective teachers recognize this is a good sign.
When 'play behavior' kicks in, it means students are
actively exploring, not trying to conform to some
standard pattern.

From such 'play time' phases derives a kind of
self-confidance that all strong programmers evidence.
You're not afraid to pioneer new techniques.  More
power to ya.

Kirby