[Edu-sig] Exponentiation should float

Bruce Sherwood bas@andrew.cmu.edu
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 16:38:13 -0500

The problem is that exponentiation goes, well, exponential. So it is real
easy for this operation to give a result too large even for long integers.
A more general statement would be that if there is overflow on integer
exponentiation, the operation should be repeated with a floating result.

--On Tuesday, February 15, 2000, 1:34 PM -0600 Ka-Ping Yee <ping@lfw.org>