[Edu-sig] Python error messages

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 13:55:34 -0500

> Simply rewriting the error messages would be an incomplete solution.
> The programming environment should really help the programmer pinpoint
> the error's location and its context. In other words, I think a a good GUI
> debugger would be useful.

Agreed.  For example, the latest version of IDLE (to be announced)
reports syntax errors by highlighting the offending token in the
source code.  Of course, we could go further, e.g. by doing the same
for runtime errors.  It also has a GUI debugger (which needs to be
greatly improved before it can be called "good" :-).