[Edu-sig] Hello from a CS Teacher

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 22:22:15 -0500

[Tim]
> I'd say it's [C++] a terrible *first* (even second) language for
> any purpose whatsoever:  its artificial complexities, both syntactic
> and semantic, are staggering.

[Steve Morris]
> I hate C++

I love C++ -- for example, it payed for the computer I'm typing this on
<wink>.

> but think you overstate it.

Did you see the "*first* (even second)" part?  C++ is about as baroque as
languages get; there are much gentler ways to learn the essentials, and
having learned them it's comparatively easy to learn how to "spell them" in
C++.  For much the same reasons, I wouldn't teach a kid how to swim by
tossing them into the deep end of the pool.

> C++ is a good language for getting a job in CS.  Let's not forget
> that there is a real world out there.

This is a Python SIG -- it's all about the real world.

> On the other hand I completely agree that Python is one of the best
> languages to teach non CS people and kids.

Programming in the real world is increasingly about getting disparate
systems to work with each other, and Python may be the most practical "glue
language" there is.  Do the posters on comp.lang.python strike you as being
unemployed <0.9 wink>?

don't-prepare-for-last-decade's-jobs-unless-you-want-to-do-
    maintenance-work-ly y'rs  - tim