[Edu-sig] Lets work on the adgenda

Dinu C. Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:12:31 +0100

Dustin James Mitchell wrote:

> I am agreeable to keeping charters and agendas and whatnot for the SIG.
> With, of course, the consent and blessing of Mr. Rossum.  I think it is
> crucial that we add a dash of focus to this list which is so obviously
> packed with ideas and good thinking and potential.
>
> I think we all have our biases, and I will admit I have mine.  If there is
> general approval I will try to make my biases explicit so that you all can
> expect and deal with them.

After so many excellent ideas have been posted to this
forum there should definitly be some focussing activity
leading to a real agenda. If I dare add some more concrete
items I'd opt for the following to be at least considered
as potential candidates, listed here in no particular
order.

- Definition of CP4E target groups more precize than just
  'everybody'.

- Collection and analysis of requirements (language, tools,
  documentation) of existing and potential Python users in
  different application domains.

- Evaluation of language/syntax changes to Python for
  reaching a wider programming audience.

- Evaluation of the need for some (additional) 'downsized'
  version of Python, say, MiniPython (or MontiPython, to
  avoid copyright issues), if not even PythonScript.

- Evaluation of existing text-books with the goal of
  adapting them to Python instead of other languages.

- Implementation of additional development/usage tools
  needed for other target groups.

- Evaluation of improvements to existing Python distribu-
  tions for existing and new target groups.

- Generation of (domain-specific?) tutorials and text-
  books based on the experience made by this forum's
  members.

- Underlining the fact that CP4E, as Python, is a 'world
  movement' and not tied to an American or angle-saxon
  audience like K-12 or the like.

- Based on the previous item, considering other languages
  than English right from the start.

So long,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"The thing about Linux or open software in general is that