[Edu-sig] pedagogy, programming environments, and readings

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Sun, 06 Feb 2000 11:24:25 -0800

>If we can do that, we can teach people to write code and hand them the keys.
>Then we can worry about whether they understand what they are doing.  Maybe,
>having glimpsed all the power available to them, they will actually *want*
>to learn more.
>
>Dave Scherer

Dave --

A good, clear statement that reflects many of my own views.

Embedding more computer language in the curriculum is about
opening new doors into many subjects besides computer science
and computer programming as professional disciplines.

In K-12, exposure to programming is no more about turning out
future programmers than exposure to mathematics is about turning
out full-time mathematicians.  Such specialization (some might
say "over-specialization") comes much later, after students
have had a chance to savor offerings from many walks of life.

"Numeracy" and "computer literacy" are increasingly convergent
goals.  We seek to provide this background to everyone, whether
they want to be gurus, global traders, ship captains, medical
doctors, shamans -- or plain ol' rocket scientists.

Kirby

PS:  I _really_ need to get back to my Xbase.  I'll post again
in a week or so.