[Edu-sig] On case sensitivity

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Fri, 04 Feb 2000 09:51:08 -0800

>Why?  I've never seen any strong justification for case sensitivity other
>than backward-compatibility with some other language or library.

That's justification enough.  "Backward compatibility" in
this context means being able to write in that language,
even today.

I don't insist that Chinese drop reliance on tonality
because "meaning through tone is difficult for the Western
ear".  Tone-sensitivity is here to stay as well -- if not
in Python :-D.

>eNGLISH IS NOT cAse SenSitiVe, although there are certainly strong
>conventions!

English is EXTREMEly complicated.

>If the goal is really Computer Programming For Everyone, everything is OUR
>problem.  The needs of the (10M?) programmers in the world are vastly
>outweighed by the needs of the six billion normal people.  They are always
>right and we are always wrong.  Randy and Guido are 110% right about that.

The goal is to gradually erode this concept of OUR kind, versus
"normal" people.  There is no "they" versus "we" in the ideal
world for which CP4E strives.  No one gets to point the finger
at those "cockroach" others.

Kirby