[Edu-sig] Re: Programming for the fun of it

Dethe Elza delza@antarcti.ca
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:50:22 -0800

Don Hansford wrote:

> > * Fix the software you use
> Only if it's Open Source :-)
> > * Understand computers and the digital world better
> > * Extend the software you use
> See above :-)

Now, I'm a big fan of open source, for a variety of reasons, but it hasn't
taken over the world completely (not yet) and a lot of people still have to
live and work with tools like MS Windows and other closed-source,
proprietary programs.

Does this mean these poor souls are forever condemned to not understanding
the software they use, being unable to fix or maintain it?  Not really.
Note, I use "fix" pretty loosely, to mean "work around bugs" and/or "make
the interface better," for instance.  Obviously, no one outside of MS (and
sometimes it seems no one inside either) can truly fix their bugs, but
anyone can fix their software.  The book "Python Programming on Win32" has
great examples of using Python to wire together proprietary applications to
create the tool you need.  Of course I hope by the time the second edition
comes out, Python's graphic interface tools will have evolved to the point
that the authors don't feel the need to use Visual Basic...

But I digress.  Open Source is not a strict requirement to benefit from
learning programming to extend and enhance your computing environment.  It's
perfectly feasible to use PythonWin and COM (and even VB <shudder />) to do
your own version of "embrace and extend."

--Dethe