[Edu-sig] RE: articles of possible interest

Stephen R. Figgins fig@oreilly.com
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 07:45:51 -0700

Ah, and one more, MOOP, this one found lurking in the vaults.

http://www.accessoft.com/moop/

It has a more pleasant acronym.

That said, I find news forums a more interesting place to meet others
and learn about programming, and it has the added benefit of being
archived.  In a chat or moo, the conversation is often lost, and
because of when you logged on, or what room you are in at the moment,
your questions might not reach the right eyes.

And if I am to take the time building interactive objects in Python, I
think I would like them to be more visible to the world.  What if we
thought of the web itself as a giant moo?  With each site as its own
sort of room?  Or, perhaps think of the web as a medium for delivering
a moo?  The moo could be built in a distributed environment, all that
would be needed is some sort of moo servlet that can pass on state to
other moo servlets running on the web...

Digressing further, I have always thought that the web itself is an
excellent eduactional medium.  Learning to manipulate and extend it
can be very useful, and the tools that you might use to do that are
wide open, because you are really dealing with open protocols,
standards.  The language you use to do that could be anything.  Most
Education and the Web books and articles have focussed on using the
web as a research tool.  But it is also a real world environment that
is open to scripting.

Stephen Figgins
fig@oreilly.com