[Edu-sig] CP4E: an update from the OCN

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Thu, 06 Apr 2000 16:05:47 -0700

Some of the key players introduced in my Python-based=20
'Numeracy + Computer Literacy' series, a 4-part essay
(roughly in order of appearance):

  Johann Carl Friedrich Gauss (1777-1855)=20
  R. Buckminster Fuller (1895-1983)=20
  Alexander Graham Bell (1847-1922)
  Johannes Kepler (1571-1630)=20
  Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
  Isaac Newton (1642-1727)=20
  Leonardo Fibonacci (1170-1250)=20
  J. P. M. Binet (1786-1856)=20
  A de Moivre (1667-1754)=20
  Ren=E9 Descartes (1596-1650)
  William Kingdon Clifford (1845-1879)
  Sir William Rowan Hamilton (1805-1869)
  Josiah Willard Gibbs (1839-1903)
  Hermann G=FCnter Grassmann (1809-1877)
  Waclaw Sierpinski (1882-1969)
  Erastosthenes (276 BC-194 BC)
  Leonhard Euler (1707-1783)=20
  Pierre de Fermat (1601-1655)=20
  Robert Daniel Carmichael (1879-?)=20
  Carl Gustav Jacob Jacobi (1804-1851)
  Christian Goldbach (1690-1764)=20
  William Barlow (1845-1934)=20

Eponymous objects/concepts (i.e. named for these people),=20
either in this essay or mentioned elsewhere at my website(s):

Gaussian distribution, buckyballs, Kepler's Conjecture, Pascal's=20
Triangle/Tetrahedron, Fibonacci series, Binet formula, Cartesian=20
coordinates, Clifford algebra, Grassmann algebra, Sierpinski's=20
triangle, sieve of Erastosthenes, Euler's theorem, Euler's Law,
Fermat's little and last theorems, Carmichael numbers, Jacobi=20
symbol, Goldbach's conjecture, Barlow packing...

Of course once you start following the links from the above,
to related people and concepts, you quickly pull in a huge
additional number of math-science-engineering topics and key=20
players (both living and dead).

I realize the above is top-heavy with guys, most of them=20
Europeans.  But with 'Computer Programming for Everybody'=20
and related 21st Century initiatives (e.g. Unicode), I=20
expect more balanced and well-rounded development in future.

See: http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/cp4e.html

Related links re 21st Century Math Education:
   =20
    Doing Shapes in Montesorri
    http://www.egroups.com/message/synergeo/236

    What if...