[docs] [issue36754] Remove smart quotes in pydoc text

Steve Dower report at bugs.python.org
Mon Apr 29 13:53:25 EDT 2019

New submission from Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org>:

Not all console configurations can correctly render smart quotes in help() text. See the "Æ" in "superclass's" below.

When building for pydoc-topics, it would be ideal to disable smart quotes. (I'm assuming from issue31793 that this can be done in configuration, though I'm not entirely sure how - it's not clear to me from those PRs)

---

>>> help("BASICMETHODS")
Basic customization
*******************

object.__new__(cls[, ...])
   Typical implementations create a new instance of the class by
   invoking the superclassÆs "__new__()" method using
   "super().__new__(cls[, ...])" with appropriate arguments and then
   modifying the newly-created instance as necessary before returning
   it.

----------
assignee: docs at python
components: Documentation
messages: 341107
nosy: docs at python, steve.dower
priority: normal
severity: normal
stage: needs patch
status: open
title: Remove smart quotes in pydoc text
type: enhancement
versions: Python 3.7, Python 3.8