[docs] Could I help make the sidebar more useful?

Jonathan Berger jonathanberger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 12:10:34 EST 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your work on Python and its documentation. It sets an
amazingly high bar and serves as an example to all.

I'd love to improve it. Good reference documents have tables of contents so
readers can quickly grasp the scope of the reference and jump to relevant
parts. A good example is the table at the top of this page:
https://docs.python.org/3/library/functions.html

On the other hand, this page (and most of the standard library pages)
suffer:
https://docs.python.org/3/library/os.path.html
There's no quick way for a reader to scan all of the functions in the
module or jump to a relevant function.

A good place to put such a function list would be the lefthand sidebar.

Assuming this idea has been discussed before, could someone share whether
there is support for it and the effort involved? I could imagine starting
with just one standard library page as a prototype.

Thanks,
Jonathan