[docs] [issue12731] python lib re uses obsolete sense of \w in full violation of UTS#18 RL1.2a

Terry J. Reedy report at bugs.python.org
Wed Mar 14 20:33:15 EDT 2018

Terry J. Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> added the comment:

Whatever I may have said before, I favor supporting the Unicode standard for \w, which is related to the standard for identifiers.

This is one of 2 issues about \w being defined too narrowly.  I am somewhat arbitrarily closing #1693050 as a duplicate of this (fewer digits ;-).

There are 3 issues about tokenize.tokenize failing on valid identifiers, defined as \w sequences whose first char is an identifier itself (and therefore a start char).  In msg313814 of #32987, Serhiy indicates which start and continue identifier characters are matched by \W for re and regex.  I am leaving #24194 open as the tokenizer name issue.

stage: needs patch -> test needed
versions: +Python 3.6, Python 3.7, Python 3.8 -Python 2.7, Python 3.3, Python 3.4