[docs] [issue26780] Illustrate both binary operator conventions in PEP-8

Brandon Rhodes report at bugs.python.org
Sat Apr 16 10:06:45 EDT 2016

New submission from Brandon Rhodes:

I am delighted to see that PEP-8 has pivoted to breaking long formulae before, rather than after, each binary operator! But I would like to pivot the PEP away from citing my own PyCon Canada talk as the authority on the matter, and toward citing Knuth himself. It would also be an enhancement for the PEP to show both options and make an argument for the practice, instead of simply asserting that one is better than the other. I therefore propose the attached patch.

----------
assignee: docs at python
components: Documentation
files: pep8-knuth.patch
keywords: patch
messages: 263554
nosy: barry, brandon-rhodes, docs at python, gvanrossum
priority: normal
severity: normal
status: open
title: Illustrate both binary operator conventions in PEP-8
Added file: http://bugs.python.org/file42487/pep8-knuth.patch