[docs] [issue22413] Bizarre StringIO(newline="\r\n") translation

Martin Panter report at bugs.python.org
Sat Oct 3 11:45:41 CEST 2015

Martin Panter added the comment:

Here is a suggested patch. I did include details of the initializer and getvalue(); this is the heart of the problem IMO. In a limited sense the newline flag _is_ similar to TextIOWrapper, but more broadly this implied to me that newlines should be encoded in the buffer, just like in TextIOWrapper’s wrapped “buffer” and on disk.

My patch also adds to a comment in the C code and removes another comment made out of date by Argument Clinic.

In the documentation I didn’t mention the problem with split CRLFs; I think that is a separate bug.

assignee:  -> docs at python
components: +Documentation
nosy: +docs at python
stage:  -> patch review