[docs] [issue24372] Documentation for ssl.wrap_socket's ssl_version parameter is odd

Eric V. Smith report at bugs.python.org
Wed Jun 3 15:10:46 CEST 2015

New submission from Eric V. Smith:

The documentation for ssl.wrap_socket()'s ssl_version parameter says "ssl_version={see docs}". But as far as I can tell, there's no reason not to document it as PROTOCOL_SSLv23, since that's what it actually is in the code.

My use case is that I'm producing a utility function for an RFC-5804 Manage Sieve client, which implements starttls(). I want to expose most of wrap_sockets()'s parameters, and pass them in to ssl.wrap_socket() itself. In order to do so, I need to specify the default values to match wrap_socket(). But ssl_version's default isn't documented.

Is the reason to allow us to change the default in a bug fix release? If that's the case, I suggest creating a sentinel value, like ssl.DEFAULT_PROTOCOL, and have that be the documented default. Then I could declare my parameter as defaulting to ssl.DEFAULT_PROTOCOL, pass it in to ssl.wrap_socket(), and have it use the "current" default.

If that's a desirable solution, I'll happily write a patch. If so, it would just apply to 3.6, but if we just want to document the actual value of ssl_version, then it would apply to the versions I've selected.

----------
assignee: docs at python
components: Documentation, Library (Lib)
messages: 244742
nosy: docs at python, eric.smith
priority: low
severity: normal
status: open
title: Documentation for ssl.wrap_socket's ssl_version parameter is odd
type: enhancement
versions: Python 2.7, Python 3.4, Python 3.5, Python 3.6