[docs] [issue23904] pathlib.PurePath does not accept bytes components

Antoine Pitrou report at bugs.python.org
Sun Apr 12 00:02:08 CEST 2015

Antoine Pitrou added the comment:

Interesting. The doc is wrong here: pathlib was designed so that it only accepts text strings.

> If I use "surrogateescape" (see PEP383) how can I display the
> fake-unicode path to the user? `print()` does seems to use strict
> encoding. Should I encode it with "surrogateescape" or "ignore" myself
> beforehand?

Yes, you should probably encode it yourself. If you are sure your terminal can eat the original bytestring, then use "surrogateescape". Otherwise, "replace" sounds better so that the user knows there are some undecodable characters out there.

nosy: +ncoghlan, pitrou