[docs] [issue23061] Update pep8 to specify explicitly 'module level' imports at top of file

Raymond Hettinger report at bugs.python.org
Wed Dec 24 00:16:53 CET 2014

Raymond Hettinger added the comment:

> I would argue this is a good time to clean up that code in the standard library.

Please leave any clean-ups to the module maintainers.  PEP 8 is something you should do to your own code, rather than something you inflict on other people's code.

We generally leave "clean-ups" to the module maintainers rather than creating code churn which can make it more difficult to apply actual bug fixes across versions.

Also, GvR has long expressed a preference for "holistic refactoring" where we avoid making superficial changes across the library and reserve those changes for occasions where we're thinking more deeply about a specific piece of code.  The basis for this viewpoint has been confirmed a number of times when we've received Pep 8 patches that introduced bugs into code that was previously correct.

nosy: +rhettinger