[docs] [issue18206] There is no license.html on www.python.org

py.user report at bugs.python.org
Fri Jun 14 00:29:20 CEST 2013

New submission from py.user:

[guest at localhost ~]$ python3
Python 3.3.0 (default, Sep 29 2012, 22:07:38)
[GCC 4.7.2 20120921 (Red Hat 4.7.2-2)] on linux
>>> license()
See http://www.python.org/3.3/license.html

404

answer from webmaster at python.org:

Hello,

When I use the version of Python distributed by python.org and type "license()" I get the full license text and not the url.

It seems like this might be a change made by Red Hat? Either way, the proper place to discuss issues like this is on the Python bug tracker:

	http://bugs.python.org/

Feel free to report an issue there and the developers can look at it.

This email address is actually for reporting problems with the Python.org website!

All the best,

Michael Foord

in Lib/site.py:
[guest at localhost cpython]$ sed -n '453,456p' Lib/site.py
    builtins.license = _Printer(
        "license", "See http://www.python.org/%.3s/license.html" % sys.version,
        ["LICENSE.txt", "LICENSE"],
        [os.path.join(here, os.pardir), here, os.curdir])
[guest at localhost cpython]$

----------
assignee: docs at python
components: Documentation, Library (Lib)
messages: 191095
nosy: docs at python, py.user
priority: normal
severity: normal