[docs] [issue16574] clarify policy on updates to final peps

Chris Jerdonek report at bugs.python.org
Thu Nov 29 05:22:21 CET 2012

Chris Jerdonek added the comment:

> I think the gist here is that “in general” is good enough, given that there is unwritten consensus about what edits are possible in the developers’ heads.

As I said, I'm okay with keeping the PEP as is (with "in general," etc) provided a clarification is documented elsewhere like in the devguide.  What I want to avoid are, as you say, there being "unwritten" rules about changing PEPs in the Final state.  (It was the general remarks about unwritten rules in Nick's e-mail that I felt were applicable.)

The written rules need not be overly-detailed or inflexible so long as they give newcomers without that common understanding a leg up on what to do.  It could be something as simple as "non-substantive changes to PEPs in the Final state should be treated like any other changes to the documentation" (or whatever the general process/criteria should be for such changes).