[docs] Python 2.7.2

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydocs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 18:00:49 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM,  <gurleym at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm using Python 2.7.2 on windows 7.  From the tutorial page chapter 3.1.1,we start going into numbers and comments. In following the examples I type the code
>
> 8/5 # Fractions aren't lost when dividing integers <hit enter>
> 1
>
> Per the example on the web page I should get 1.6 not 1
>
> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Also I purchased your app for iPad. I can't figure out where to do these tutorials on it. I understand the reference page and found the links but where/ how do I input the code in the app. Even just the simple math part.
>

> Thank you for your time
>
> -Matt

Hi Matt,

It would appear you're using the Python 3 tutorial with Python 2.7.
You can change the version of the page you're looking at with the
version switching dropdown at the top left of the page; or by changing
'3' to '2' in the address bar.

You've encountered one of the significant backward-incompatible
changes between Python 2 and Python 3; in 2.x the '/' operator is for
floor division while in 3.x '/' is for 'true' division and '//' is for
floor division.  You can enable this functionality in 2.7 by doing
"from __future__ import division", though.

As far as the iPad app, please contact its developer for questions.
It is not maintained by the Python Software Foundation or CPython
community.