[docs] [issue16418] argparse with many choices can generate absurdly long usage message

Chris Jerdonek report at bugs.python.org
Wed Nov 14 18:14:00 CET 2012

Chris Jerdonek added the comment:

For maintenance releases, I think I would favor abbreviating the list only if it is "lossless" (e.g. for xrange objects).  I think I would also be okay with abbreviating for arbitrary xranges -- in particular for arbitrary steps.  For example, for xrange(0, 50, 3), I think something like the following might be better: "0, 3, 6, 9, ... 45, 48" (we could also include a difference hint).