[docs] [issue6774] socket.shutdown documentation: on some platforms, closing one half closes the other half

Charles-François Natali report at bugs.python.org
Sat Jan 14 11:29:42 CET 2012

Charles-François Natali <neologix at free.fr> added the comment:

> This is questionable, unexpected, and should be documented.

There's already this note at the top of the socket module documentation:
"""
Note

Some behavior may be platform dependent, since calls are made to the
operating system socket APIs.
"""

There are other such subtleties with the socket API, e.g. SO_REUSEADDR
which doesn't have the same semantics on Windows. As I said earlier, I
don't think we should document every platform quirks: it will make
users worry for no reason, and as time passes, there's a chance that
the documentation doesn't match the actual behavior.
For example, this specific behavior might very well be a bug, and it's
not our responsibility to document this.