[docs] FOO and BAR

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 11:45:46 CET 2012

> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:32:27 +0000
> From: <Andrew.Roe at rbs.com>
> Do you think it would be possible to write your documentation avoiding the silly usage of FOO and BAR everywhere?

Sure, it's possible.  However, we're volunteers, and it may take a
fair bit of time: there is a lot of documentation along with many
competing things to do, and it's not necessarily trivial to come up
with real-world examples that are also simple, effective, neutral, and
illustrative.  I think as a group we're aware of this issue.  For
example, the following issue is in the tracker (which includes your
example):

http://bugs.python.org/issue11176

> This is a very very old and boring joke, and does nothing to clarify what you are trying to clarify. If you could include real-world examples in your documentation, rather than "clever" programmer "jokes", learners such as myself would have far more respect for the good work you are obviously doing here.

I wouldn't say that it's a joke or an attempt to be funny or silly.
Names like "foo" and "bar" are simply widely-used neutral placeholder
names, in the same way that "lorem ipsum..." is used as sample text in
many illustrations or that "John Doe" is used as a sample name.  Read
here, for example, for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar

It's just a convenience for the writer (albeit at the expense of being
"real-world").

> For example, the section on argparser is full of this sort of rubbish:
> argparse.ArgumentParser(description='A foo that bars')
>
> Under what circumstances would you ever put that in a program? Are you mad?

No, we're certainly not.  Also note that it helps to be kind when
writing to people -- especially to volunteers.

--Chris