[docs] [issue13010] devguide doc: ./python.exe on OS X

Steven Samuel Cole report at bugs.python.org
Mon Sep 19 19:37:13 CEST 2011

Steven Samuel Cole <steven.samuel.cole at gmail.com> added the comment:

from my observations, david is correct, but this is not limited to os x. i have checked out and rebuilt python twice on a linux system (kubuntu 10.10 i386 virtual machine):

1. in a 'conventional' setup using a local (i.e. guest) harddrive formatted with a case-sensitive file system such as ext4, the built executable is called 'python' as one would expect.

2. in my setup mounting the source code folder from a cifs/samba share provided by the host, the executable is called 'python.exe': samba is not case sensitive.

once you know about case sensitivity and python / Python, the sentence in the docs makes absolute sense. before that, it looks like someone has mixed up os names.

suggestion for a rephrase: instead of

"Once CPython is done building you will then have a working build that can be run in-place; ./python on most machines (and what is used in all examples), ./python.exe on OS X (when on a case-insensitive filesystem, which is the default)."

"Once CPython is done building you will then have a working build that can be run in-place; ./python on most machines (and what is used in all examples), ./python.exe wherever a case-insensitive filesystem is used (e.g. the OS X default setting)."