[docs] Docs development entrypoint (Was: Mailing list dead pile and private lists)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 15:45:09 CEST 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Georg Brandl <georg at python.org> wrote:
>> docs-sig at python.org - non-intuitive development name, but it's
>> documentation development group
>
> Non-intuitive or not, it is a SIG and therefore that name is the
> right one.

The problem that SIGs is a common name only in some subset of English
or American culture. DEV is international. SIG abbreviation should be
expanded on entrypoint pages to give new users a safe feeling of
understanding without resorting to silly explanations or slang.

>> 2. rename doc-sig@ to doc-dev@ (or docs-dev@?)
>
> As I said above, this change is not useful.

Whatever it is, I can live with it as long as I am not forced to
subscribe to YAML. =) But it is not really an argument. Arguments are
either:
1. it is a well established name linked all over the web that people use
2. it is "inconvenient" to bother admins
3. -sig suffix is better than -dev, because ...
  3.1. there are not many people subscribed and they would have to
resubscribe (bad one)
  3.2. people are lazy to remember the new name
  3.3. people who actually DO stuff prefer it THIS way (perhaps the
only good one)

>> 3. merge various HTML pages (including mailman) into one/two
>> entrypoint page and allow community update it
>> 4. 3 obviously requires a Wiki page
>
> I agree that the doc-SIG pages are outdated.  I will ask the SIG coordinator
> what we should do with the old content, and then update the pages
> accordingly.

That's good. The bad part that it is probably seen by many, but to
reports this I am alone.

>> 5. add web posting interface with OAuth/OpenID support (Google Groups,
>> anything else?)
>> 6. add custom search form for doc development archives and docs
>> (twisted has one for mailman)
>
> Those two are not specific to the docs list(s); you're going to have
> to ask the postmasters if this is feasible.  (I guess not.)

If search link is possible then search form should be possible too

>> (I still don't understand people who don't like web interfaces, but
>> still firing email agent to fill their GUI email form fields that is
>> no different from web-based except that fields are not autofilled
>> using browser cookie).
>
> I don't understand what you mean, sorry.  Mailing lists are called that
> for a reason.

I mean that ML is not the only way of communication and hybrid systems
all already everywhere. Google Groups is one of the most popular.
--
anatoly t.