[Doc-SIG] which characters to use for docstring markup

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 15:10:21 -0400

[Edward D. Loper]
> 3. It makes much more sense to use "`" rather than "'" for ...

In the font I'm using to view this email, I can't see the difference between
those suggestions <wink>.

> I'm leaning towards using either::
>
>     C{code}, E{emph} etc.
>
> or::
>
>     `literal` and *one* *word* *emph* (and that's it)
>
> to color code in my markup.  Any comments?

I happen to like the former better, because it's extensible and unambiguous.
It wasn't suitable for Perl because, e.g., $C{$i} is legit Perl code.  And
they invented the C<$i> notation before "->" (as in $A->[$i]) thingies were
added to the language.  X{...} is never legit Python syntax today, and seems
very unlikely it ever will be.