[Doc-SIG] Forthcoming doc release; request for help

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:18:46 -0500 (EST)

Ka-Ping Yee writes:
 > Okay, post some URLs... i have Navigator 3 and 4 on Irix and Linux.

  I've dropped tarballs at:

	ftp://ftp.python.org/pub/python/doc/.test/

  Online versions are available at:

	http://www.python.org/doc/1.5.2p2/

(not yet linked to from anywhere).

 > Is Mozilla even worth it?  I've downloaded two or three releases
 > and never had it stay up for more than a couple of minutes even
 > on ordinary pages, or on its own included test pages.

  I tried M12 on Solaris, Linux, and Windows, and it mostly worked OK
(HTML widget portion of the display), aside from some weirdness on
Solaris, and generally leaking like a sieve.  I still haven't played
with M13 on Linux or Windows.  It still seems slow, but that's
probably an issue of the application code rather than the renderer
(feels snappy); I suspect they're not caching network resources, or
have a bug in that.
  I'm not so concerned about Mozilla now as six months from now; they
*are* becoming much more stable & capable.  I don't want to feel I
need to do another release simply because they've fixed the usability
issues related to their interface.
  But I've not intention of holding anything up for Mozilla either.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>