[Doc-SIG] Cross-reference proposal

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 08:33:38 -0800

"Tony J Ibbs (Tibs)" wrote:

> Not a *very* contrived example. I've "highlighted" the word "blocks" as best
> I can in email. Note that the second usage of the word in the doc string is
> *not* a candidate for cross referencing. Given the nature of the english
> language (I can't speak for others) such multiple binding of meaning for a
> single word is common.

Okay, but what is the real cost of the mis-identification?

The great era of mathematical physics is now over; the 300-year effort
represent the material world in mathematical terms has exhausted itself.
The
understanding it was to provide is infinitely closer than it was when
Isaac
Newton wrote in the late seventeenth centruy, but it is still infinitely
far
away.
	- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski