[Doc-SIG] DocStrings 0.3: Suggestion for documentation syntax (very long)

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 03:23:28 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) wrote:

> 1. Why don't we just use XML? - the proposed format is almost as verbose,
> and has the disadvantage that it is a new format "for the sake of it" [1].

Because XML is totally unacceptable for typing.  Moreover, it is quite easy
to type syntactically incorrect XML [1], and the concept of documentation so
complex that it requires debugging on a syntactic level just horrifies me.

-- ?!ng

[1] ...as evidenced by my very own mistake!  Can you find the error in the
    silly XML example in my first message entitled "Ease of use is #1"?