[Doc-SIG] docstring grammar

David Ascher da@ski.org
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 16:37:54 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Tim Peters wrote:

> I don't think it's enough to supply <PRE>...</PRE> functionality, if
> for no other reason than that an empty line ends it.  But then I'm not
> sure I've seen anything else proposed that can span embedded
> whitespace lines either.

I'm not sure what the first sentence means, but re: the second, I just
want to point out that any block which starts w/ a keyword and doesn't
have a block-on-same-line-as-keyword can span lots of embedded whitespace.

Verbatim:

  this is paragraph one

  this is paragraph two

  this is paragraph three

and the body of Verbatim is:

"""
  this is paragraph one

  this is paragraph two

  this is paragraph three
"""

i.e., six lines (counting the first empty line)