[Doc-SIG] docstring grammar

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 03 Dec 1999 23:44:49 +0100

Now I'm getting confused. Confused about what the intention of
docstrings is, that is: as I see them they're quick-reference
documentation to be used by IDE's and class browsers and such to help
you while you're busy hacking. But more and more terms like extraction
of docstrings and such pops up, so I'm wondering whether people are
envisioning a tangle/weave/web-like system where the full documentation is
included in the source...

And, yes, I know I happily joined in in the latter, with the
multilingual discussion and more, but I think I would definitely
prefer the former scheme, possibly even combined with
the-latter-in-reverse, where the Real Documentation was structured in
such a way that there could be tools that you would feed the
documentation and the source, and that would add docstrings to the source.