[Distutils] Fwd: PyPI & Warehouse update: redirecting & shutting down legacy by end of April

Sumana Harihareswara sh at changeset.nyc
Wed Mar 7 14:51:41 EST 2018

Forwarding from pypa-dev (archived https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pypa-dev/L9sF30_Yr2A ).

--
Sumana Harihareswara

----- Original message -----
From: Sumana Harihareswara <sh at changeset.nyc>
To: "pypa-dev" <pypa-dev at googlegroups.com>
Subject: PyPI & Warehouse update: redirecting & shutting down legacy by end of April
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 14:48:34 -0500

The big PyPI news is that we're probably getting to the beta, which we'll publicize heavily, in the next 2 weeks, and redirecting traffic to the new PyPI and shutting down legacy PyPI by the end of April.[0] (Which is good, because that's about when our funding from Mozilla's Open Source Support[1][2] grant will probably run out.) We're working on making a list of third-party services to alert; please help us out.[3]

The PyCon North America talk schedule is out -- including Dustin Ingram's "Inside the Cheeseshop: How Python Packaging Works".[4] And we hope you'll join us to hack on packaging and distribution at the sprints, May 14-17.[5] And Nicole Harris is also tentatively planning to lead a Warehouse sprint at EuroPython in July.[6]

We've kept on working on features, bugfixes, testing, and infrastructure; here's a selection of the last week's work. Ernest has been continuing cabotage work to manage Kubernetes credentials,[7] and our new infrastructure is stood up & heavily tested. Nicole's doing user tests and taking lessons from that and turning them into issues -- feel free to ping her if you're open to talking with her for 30-60 minutes so she can see how you use the new PyPI.[8] Dustin fixed the issue "Version lookup should take PEP 440 normalization into account" #445 with multiple fixes involving a canonical version for each release.[9] And he also updated the official Python packaging guide to cover how you indicate multiple emails in core metadata.[10] And, thanks to Ernest, PyPI legacy now has a banner for logged-in users, asking them to test pypi.org.[11]

Thanks to volunteers:
   * yeraydiazdiaz for password strength gauge[12]
   * jw for changing "Edit" to "Manage" in project management screen[13]
   * aalmazan for updating a checkbox to use the Stimulus framework[14]

We also brought up the possibility of changing the PyPI URL structure, in case you want to weigh in.[15]

Last week's office hours/IRC livechat went okay! Not as many participants as I would like, but this particular publicity/feedback structure is fairly new to the Python packagers community and I didn't do enough advance publicity. We got praise for the new PyPI, and we got bug reports and related comments and concerns (for Warehouse and related tools), and we shared tutorials and tools and command-line tips that some experienced packagers didn't know about. And we got people to subscribe to the announce mailing list.[16]

Notes from the weekly Warehouse core developers' meeting are, as usual, on the wiki.[17] And you can keep up with our current and upcoming milestone progress at the GitHub rollout board overview.[18]

And, thanks to Mark Mangoba, PEP 541 is going to get further progress within the Packaging WG this week.[19]

We would love your help. Please test PyPI and let us know what works and doesn't work for you. Please let us know of third-party services that should get a heads-up about the changeover.[20] And please consider joining us and hacking on Warehouse.[21] We have 16 open good first issues.[22]

Thanks to Mozilla for their support for the PyPI & Warehouse work, and thanks to the PSF for facilitating it!

[0] https://wiki.python.org/psf/WarehouseRoadmap
[1] https://pyfound.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-psf-awarded-moss-grant-pypi.html
[2] https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2018/01/23/moss-q4-supporting-python-ecosystem/
[3] https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/2935
[4] https://us.pycon.org/2018/schedule/presentation/148/
[5] https://us.pycon.org/2018/community/sprints/
[6] https://ep2018.europython.eu/
[7] https://github.com/cabotage/cabotage-app
[8] https://twitter.com/nlhkabu/status/969644629644730368
[9] Several commits necessary, including: https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/pull/3113, https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/pull/3099, https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/pull/3102, https://github.com/pypa/packaging/commits?author=di&since=2018-02-01T05:00:00Z&until=2018-03-01T05:00:00Z
[10] https://github.com/pypa/python-packaging-user-guide/pull/429
[11] https://github.com/pypa/pypi-legacy/commits?author=ewdurbin&since=2018-02-27T05:00:00Z&until=2018-03-08T05:00:00Z
[12] https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/pull/3128
[13] https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/pull/3130