[Distutils] PEP 508, environment markers & the possibility of Python 3.10

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 08:28:15 EST 2018

On 28 January 2018 at 22:12, Alex Grönholm <alex.gronholm at nextday.fi> wrote:
> Hasn't Guido said publicly that 4.0 would be the next version from 3.9
> (since he hates double digits)?

No, he overcame that aversion when we published 2.7.10.

So while the assumption was that Guido wouldn't allow 3.10 back when I
wrote https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2014/09/17/why-python-4-0-wont-be-like-python-3-0/,
the current status is that we won't make a firm decision either way
until after the 3.9 maintenance branch is created. There are downsides
either way, and weighing them up depends on external factors (like the
state of Linux distro migrations) where we won't have access to good
information until the decision needs to be made.

Cheers,
Nick.