[Distutils] Improving Communication

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Apr 21 20:51:54 EDT 2018

Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> writes:

> On Friday, April 20, 2018, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>
> > Currently in the packaging space, we have a number of avenues for
> > communication […]
>
> GitHub Team Discussions [1]
> […]
> - Unfortunately, they're not real time like IRC/Gitter

Another unfortunate thing about GitHub as a forum is that it's
centralised, not community-owned, and is closed for those who don't want
to have that specific gatekeeper corporation mediating their
communication with the community.

Feeding data silos is something we should be discouraging (i.e. make
effort to not go further along that path) for community-owned projects
like Python.

So, while we currently have some commitment to that particular data
silo, we should IMO not increase that and instead should move to
decentralised, community-owned platforms for community discussion.

--
 \       “Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything |
  `\                that's even remotely true!” —Homer, _The Simpsons_ |