[Distutils] [Python-ideas] Pypi private repo's

Dustin Ingram di at di.codes
Wed Apr 4 17:24:49 EDT 2018

This was recently discussed on the Packaging-WG mailing list. To
summarize, there are a few key reasons why this would be challenging:

1) The PSF is a non-profit. Taking on work generally in the domain of
for-profit enterprises might jeopardize our tax-exempt status.

2) PyPI relies heavily (~$1M/yr) on donated services and
infrastructure. If we start trying to make money, our sponsors may not
appreciate it.

3) If PyPI is in the business of hosting private packages, it may
de-incentivize us from helping to make sure "competing" private
indices (devpi, Artifactory, gemfury, etc) are functional.

4) With the exception of the current MOSS grant, PyPI is supported
entirely by unpaid volunteers. Is it fair to ask volunteers to
continue contributing their time to a for-profit enterprise?

Not to say that this would be impossible -- PyCon is quite similar
(turns a profit, has sponsors, competes with other conferences, uses
volunteer support) has addressed (and is addressing) many of these
challenges, but it remains that the transition would be challenging.

D.